APPLE PIE SQUARES
Apple pie squares are a pleasing treat. These apple treats are an all-time favorite, perfect for after school snacks, coffee with friends or as an easy dessert.
PREP TIME: 60 mins
COOK TIME: 1.5 hrs
YIELD: 10 to 12 servings
3 cups - all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon - salt
1 cup - shortening
2/3 cup - cold milk
8 cups - apples (peeled & sliced)
1 tablespoon - lemon juice
1 cup - sugar
1/3 cup - flour
2 teaspoons - cinnamon
2 tablespoons - sugar (sprinkle on top)
1. Pre-Heat oven to 350° degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Using
pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, stirring with fork
only until mixture holds together; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, mix together Apples and
lemon juice. Then, add the cup sugar, flour and
cinnamon; stir together and set aside.
4. Now, roll 2/3 rds. of the crust mixture into a
16 x 12 inch rectangle.
5. Take this rectangle and place it in the bottom
and up the sides of an ungreased 13 x 9 inch
baking pan. Trim edges evenly with top of pan.
6. Now, spread apple filling evenly in the pan.
7. Take the remaining 1/3 crust dough, and roll it out
and make a lattice top crust.
8. Then seal the edges, by folding down them.
9. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons sugar over lattice top.
10. Place the pan in the oven, middle rack, and bake
for about 1 hour 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
11. Remove, and let cool slightly before serving.
NOTE: Alternative Filling
3 cans (20 oz. each) well-drained, unsweetened, sliced apples may be used. In place of fresh apples. Also, increase sugar to 1 1/2 cups and bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden.