SOUTHERN BAKED BEANS
I never knew baked beans could be this good. I never knew baked beans could be improved upon; I never knew baked beans could be such a triumph, such a song.
8 slices - bacon (halved)
1 medium - onion (cut into small dice)
1/2 medium - green pepper (cut into small dice)
3 large cans - pork and beans (28 ounces each)
3/4 cup - barbecue sauce
1/2 cup - brown sugar
1/4 cup - distilled or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons - dry mustard
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and
pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan or skillet until
bacon has partially cooked and released about
1/4 cup drippings.
3. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
4. Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and
sauté until tender. (about 5 minutes)
5. Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a
simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans
and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large
bowl and stir in remaining ingredients)
6. Pour flavored beans into a greased 13 x 9 inch
ovenproof pan. (or similiar size)
7. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly
and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup.
8. Cook about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken
slightly and serve.