This is by far the easiest recipe I have found for strawberry jam without using a pectin. The jam is soft, spreadable and delicious.
PREP TIME: 20 min
COOK TIME: 20 min
READY IN: 40 min
YIELD: 5 cups
2 pounds - fresh strawberries (hulled)
4 cups - white sugar
1/4 cup - lemon juice
1. In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until
you have 4 cups of mashed berry.
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the
strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
3. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to
a full rolling boil.
5. Continue Boiling, and stirring often, until the mixture
reaches 220 degrees.
6. After mixing and boiling. Transfer jam to hot sterile
jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal.
7. Process each jar in a water bath.
NOTE: If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate.
TESTING JAM FOR CANNING: Place three plates in a freezer... after about 10 minutes of boiling place a tsp of the liquid of the jam onto the cold plate. Return to freezer for a minute. Run your finger through the jam on the plate... if it doesn't try to run back together (if you can make a line through it with your finger) it's ready to be canned!