THE BEST POTATO SOUP
This is a great recipe to make, especially when you don't have any meat in the house. It has a lot of flavor and is great to freeze as leftovers. I highly recommend this as a fast, fall meal. Great with biscuits and/or rolls.
PREP TIME: 20 min
COOK TIME: 45 min
YIELD: 8 servings
2 1/2 pounds - baby red potatoes
(sliced into small bite sized pieces)
1/2 regular package - uncooked bacon (finely diced)
1 medium - onion (diced)
1/4 bunch - celery (diced)
8 cups - milk
4 cups - water
4 chicken bouillon cube
(use a cup of the hot potato water to
dissolve, then use the cup of hot water
in place of one of the above cups of water)
1 teaspoon - salt
1 teaspoon - black pepper
3/4 cup - salted butter
3/4 cup - flour
1/4 bunch - freshly chopped parsley
1 cup - whipping cream
fried bacon bits
chopped green onions
1. In large pot, boil potatoes in water for 10 minutes.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. In sauté pan, cook bacon until crisp.
4. Drain bacon fat and place bacon on paper towel
over plate to drain more.
5. In bacon pan, add onion and celery over medium-high
heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
6. In the large pot, add milk, water, bullion,
salt and pepper.
7. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is
very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
(Do not let mixture boil)
8. In small, heavy saucepan melt butter , and add
flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat
until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to
make a roux.
9. While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until
soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
10. Then add the onions and celery.
11. Then stir in parsley, potatoes, and cream.
12. Garnish with cheese, bacon bits, onions or all three.
13. Serve hot and Enjoy !!!